Most Asked Questions

Many states protect unclaimed money and hold it until it is claimed by the rightful owner.

To make a claim you first have to perform a search. Then, click the button next to the name. You may be asked to print a claim form (sign it and mail it to the state), and your claim may also be sent directly to the state electronically. Just follow the on-screen instructions.

If a company, government, bank, or other entity owes you money and can't reach you, the money may be turned over to your state government.

Searching is easy! On our home page, just enter the name of the person you wish to search for in the search box. Click SEARCH and review the results.

We assist you in searching multiple state records in one location because there is no centralized mechanism for claiming this money.

If you find money that belongs to you, we'll direct you to the official state process for filing a claim.

No, until you claim your property from the state or province, they operate as caretakers.

States and provinces try to find missing owners in many ways. Many states publish listings in the newspapers of general circulation. Some states and provinces also set up booths at their state fairs and other events and many host telethons to try and locate missing owners.

If you believe you are the legitimate heir or beneficiary, be careful to fulfill all of the claim form's requirements. Although the procedures for processing claims vary by state and province, you will normally be needed to produce documents such as a death certificate, letters of testamentary, verification of the account owner's link to the last known address, and so on.